21) Swim Teacher - Extension Course: Infant & Toddler (New Units)
2024 INF ONL
This course is an extension course for Swim Teachers looking to gain specialist knowledge in teaching infants and toddlers in the pool.
This course will deliver the skills and knowledge required to select an appropriate progression of activities for the development of infants and toddlers over six (6) months of age in an aquatic environment.
It applies to those conducting learn-to-swim and water safety classes in swimming pools and confined natural shallow water venues. This course will ensure that work is performed according to relevant legislation including working with children and/or vulnerable people checks, organisational policies and procedures and best practice principles of aquatic activities.
Candidates attending this course should hold a current swimming and water safety teacher (or equivalent such as RLSS, AUSTSWIM or ASCTA) prior to attending.
It is assumed that participants are sufficiently physically fit and healthy to undertake this course. The following physical activities will occur during the course unless you advise of any physical difficulties or limitations: kneeling, bending over, crouching, standing, leaning, sitting, pushing, lifting weights, swimming long distances, towing, diving, carrying and other physical activity.
- Existing Swim Teacher Certificate (RLSS / AUSTSWIM / ASCTA) with Units of Competence SISCAQU020, SISCAQU023, SISCAQU024, SISCAQU025 & SISCAQU026.
- Reasonable communication, swimming & fitness is required
Course Length: One day (6 hours) (an additional 3 hours for CPR)
Minimum Age: 17 years old
Unit(s) of Competence
This course includes training for a workplace setting and upon satisfaction completion of all assessment activities, a Statement of Attainment will be issued in the following Unit(s) of competence:
- HLTAID009 Perform Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (Optional) (Online CPR)
- SISCAQU027 Promote development of infants and toddlers in an aquatic environment
Please check with your employer or work place that these are the correct units of competence.