Extension Course: Teacher of Infant & Toddler
This course is an extension course for Swim Teachers looking to gain specialist knowledge in teaching infants and toddlers in the pool up to 4 years of age.
This course will deliver the skills and knowledge required to select an appropriate progression of activities for the development of infants and toddlers over six (6) months of age in an aquatic environment.
It applies to those conducting learn-to-swim and water safety classes in swimming pools and confined natural shallow water venues. This course will ensure that work is performed according to relevant legislation including working with children and/or vulnerable people checks, organisational policies and procedures and best practice principles of aquatic activities.
Candidates attending this course should hold a current swimming and water safety teacher (or equivalent such as RLSS, AUSTSWIM or ASCTA) prior to attending,
It is assumed that participants are sufficiently physically fit and healthy to undertake this course. The following physical activities will occur during the course unless you advise of any physical difficulties or limitations: kneeling, bending over, crouching, standing, leaning, sitting, pushing, lifting weights, swimming long distances, towing, diving, carrying and other physical activity.
Course Cost: $230.00
- Existing Swim Teacher Certificate (RLSS / AUSTSWIM / ASCTA) with Units of Competence SISCAQU002, SISCAQU008, SISCAQU009 & SISCAQU010.
- Reasonable communication, swimming & fitness is required
Course Length: One day (6 hours) (an additional 3 hours for CPR)
Minimum Age: 17 years old
Validity: 12 months (for CPR)
Unit(s) of Competence
This course includes training for a workplace setting and upon satisfaction completion of all assessment activities, a Statement of Attainment will be issued in the following Unit(s) of competence:
- HLTAID009 Perform Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (Optional)
- SISCAQU011 Promote development of infants and toddlers in an aquatic environment
Please check with your employer or work place that these are the correct units of competence.
Assessment Tasks & Activities
There are several assessment tasks and activities required to complete the course. Below is a summary of the assessment tasks and activities required to demonstrate competence in this course:
- Theory Assessment (multi choice question and answer)
- Practical Task 1: Session planning & delivery for Motor Development Skills and Peer Review
- Practical Task 2: Session planning & delivery for Cognitive Development Skills and Peer Review
- Practical Task 3: Session planning & delivery for Personal Development Skills and Peer Review
- Practical Task 4: Individual Self Review & Adaption
Provide Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (HLTAID009) – Optional
- Activity 1: Theory Assessment (multi choice question and answer)
- Activity 2: Demonstration of Resuscitation on a manikin including Adult and Infant
Please click on the button below to enrol in this course.
Please contact us for all enquiries and enrolments.